Setting up your Bolt using 2 smartphones

I have written this post to help out users who want to set up their Bolt to WiFi but don’t have a WiFi network available.

There has to be a WiFi network and a smartphone with Bolt IoT setup app to be present when you are setting up the Bolt for the first time. If you do not have a WiFi network at home then you will need 2 smartphones, one for creating the WiFi network and the other for installing the Bolt IoT Setup app. This is only required during the setup stage. Once the setup is complete, you need only one smartphone which will be used to provide the WiFi network. Please find the steps below for setup when using 2 smartphones.

Setup process using 2 smartphones
Note: For the Bolt setup steps listed below you will require 2 smartphones. If you do not have more than 1 smartphone, please borrow one from your family members or friends. Use the borrowed phone for creating the WiFi network via phone hotspot.

1. On the first phone install the Bolt IoT Setup app.
  2. On the second phone create a WiFi hotspot.
  3. Open Bolt IoT app in the first phone and log in with your login credentials
  4. Click on Add Device button and follow the onscreen instructions till you reach the screen to select WiFi network.
  5. Select the WiFi network you have created in step 2 on the second phone and enter the password for the network and click “CONNECT” button.
  6. Once you click connect the Bolt will restart and connect to WiFi network created on the second phone. If it connects successfully then the Blue LED will stop blinking and become stable. This might take a few seconds so please wait.
  7. While the Bolt restarts, you can proceed with the setup process in the app on the first phone to link the Bolt to your cloud account and complete the process.
  8. If the Blue LED is still blinking then the Bolt might not have been able to connect to the WiFi network due to an incorrect password. Please repeat the above steps in such a scenario.

Using a single smartphone after the setup process is complete
If you had borrowed the second smartphone, or prefer to generally use just one smartphone, then follow the steps below to ensure that your Bolt can connect to the WiFi network of the first phone from now onwards so that you don’t have to rely on the second phone.

1. Once the setup is done i.e. Blue LED on Bolt is stable, copy the WiFi hotspot network name also known as SSID and password from the second phone
  2. Switch off the WiFi hotspot network on the second phone.
  3. Create a hotspot on the first phone with the same name and password as the second phone and switch on the hotspot
  4. Restart the Bolt and wait for it to connect to the hotspot of the first phone.

Do try out the above steps and let me know if you are able to do the setup. In case you are facing any issues then let me know. I will be happy to help.

13 Likes

ok i wll do it. thank

Thank you so much its real helpful for me

1 Like

hi sir i’m Hari when i’m connect the wifi module with my android its throws me a caution message
“your phone has the capabillity to connect 5Ghz WiFi Networks,but the Bolt device cannot connect to 5Ghz networks in the list please choose a 2.4Ghz most WiFi networks are 2.4Ghz by default” What i need to do Sir

1 Like

when i’m connect the wifi module with my android its throws me a caution message
“your phone has the capabillity to connect 5Ghz WiFi Networks,but the Bolt device cannot connect to 5Ghz networks in the list please choose a 2.4Ghz most WiFi networks are 2.4Ghz by default” What i need to do Sir.
same problem with my device as well

Hi @jainapeksha588,

If you go to the Hostpot setting of your phone, you can see the selected wifi band. If it is 5Ghz then change it to 2.4 Ghz. And if it is already 2.4Ghz then you don’t have to do anything.

Also check this video https://info.boltiot.com/how-to-setup-bolt

Do let me know in case you need any other information.

I have a wifi connection but m using two smartphones to connect the BoltIot device. I think this is the best way.

Sir I followed the same process. But my bolt is not getting connected. Infact it is getting connected and again gets disconnected. I followed the process 3-4 times. But the same thing is getting repeated again. What should I do?

Respected Sir, I am facing problem after linking the Bolt module to Bolt cloud. I have completed upto the 5th step in your description successfully. I am getting

status in the Bolt Cloud. In the mobile app, this is coming. In the module, only the Blue LED is blinking slowly.

Once I click on the Bolt ID on the mobile app, I get this

page.

I tried a lot in connecting the module, but everytime it fails. Without use of the module, I can not proceed further also. Please help me out.

Thanks and regards.
Deeptanu Datta

1 Like

useful bro. thankyou!!!

@pranav.kundaikar.inv

Thank you!

Thanks a lot. It has helped me to set up my device at the very first chance only without any issue. Nicely elaborate each and every single major step. Thanks once again.

If your mobile has both options available 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz network then set your phone default to 2.4G network to connect it to wifi OR
If there is no 2.4Ghz network on your phone, you will need to get a phone with 2.4G wifi network to connect your bolt module to cloud.