ESP8266 Chip Getting Over-Heated

@rahul.singh1 I am using the Bolt WiFi Module for the past 5 months. Today when I was working with the module I accidently touched the ESP chip. To my surprise, the chip was as hot as fire.

I have Nodemcu also, but that doesn’t get heated even after 30 mins of usage whereas the Bolt WiFi module is now creating probelms. Sometimes due to over-heating the module does not get connected to the cloud and also other problem occurs

Whenever I plug it in within minute it’s temeprature just shoots up. For the further projects and learning part I have to use it continuously for about 20 minutes. I am sure it will either burn or will burn the other sensors. So I request you to help in the replacement for the same. How can I initiate the request?

@vishalvats2000

How hot does it get? The chip getting warm is expected. Does the regulator on the other side heat up as well? Do you feel it gets too hot?

What kind of power supply are you using? An adapter with 5V-2A should be good, anything above that (like VOOC/fast charger) will hamper the module.

Write a mail to support@boltiot.com mentioning below issue,

@akshayan.sinha brother, within a minute the whole board gets heated. It is not just normal heatimg, the whole board heats like it is almost going to blast. I am using a normal USB cable to connect the borad to the laptop.

I have written the mail. Hoping for quick reply @rahul.singh1 @PPV . @shobhit.kumawat please escalate the process as I am stuck with my projects and other stuff

@vishalvats2000

I have taken forward your request. You’ll most likely be in touch on Monday, which is a working day.

@akshayan.sinha are you a community manager? Congrats, if it so :slight_smile: :+1:

1 Like

@vishalvats2000 Do share video and relevant photos of the wifi module describing your issue to support@boltiot.com. Our operations team will get in touch with you within the next working day and will arrange a replacement if it is under warranty.

Do let me know in case you need any other information.

@shobhit.kumawat I have written the mail to the support team. By the way, my issue is that the board gets over-heated. How can I make a video of that? Its color does not change from white to red.

But thanks for your answer, waiting for support team’s reply

Hey,
See, if its getting heated after you’ve made the connections, then make sure, that the end of the connecting wires are not touching with each other, not even a little in the connection, because that’s when the module gets heated and will get damaged.

Secondly, check the voltage supply of your adapter as well, because more the electricity, more is the heat.

@pabhinav30 I have done all of the connections and wiring properly. But buddy, even if I just plug the Bolt WiFi in order to connect to cloud, the whole board (ie ESP8266 chip and all other components) is heated. Its like that if I will use it for 3 minutes continuosly then it will surely either burn or will damage other components.

Waiting for the team’s reply on Monday

@akshayan.sinha
ESP8266 is 3.3V microcontroller.so the pins are not 5V tolerant. Hence, if applying more than 3.6V may kill the chip.

NO, @najahaehsan1999 in the Bolt WiFi module there is a voltage regulator which sort of converts 5V to 3.3V (which is needed by the ESP8266 and other components)

Hi @vishalvats2000,

I have invited @shafiq.shaikh (hardware engineer) to look into this issue.

Okay @rahul.singh1 sir, Please do escalate the process as its blocking my progress

Hi @vishalvats2000,

I have already escalated this issue to the operation team. You will be getting a call by tomorrow EOD and then we will ship the replacement unit to you.

Thanks @rahul.singh1 for the quick follow up

@rahul.singh1 sir I haven’t received any call from your side. Please do look into the issue so that the replacement can be initiated at the earliest

Hi @vishalvats2000,

I had a discussion with the team. We will be replacing your Bolt kit and it will be shipped by today EOD.

Thanks sir. Approximatley how many days will I receive the kit? Do I have to give my kit back to the courier guy or I just have to take the new one?