How to run Bolt IoT python library on Windows (without digital ocean or ubuntu)?

I did not have international card for digital ocean and could not install vmware or virtual box, and also it was written I could use replit so now how can I complete this project?

@siddharthoza00 , if you are unable to download the Virual Box or Ubuntu Image from the net then you can download the Anaconda Python for running the python code.

Make sure that you install the pip3 module after installing the Anaconda Python and also install the boltiot module before using the Bolt commands.

For your convenience, I am providing my Google drive link in whch I have downloaded the correct versions of the Virtual Box and the UBUNTU Image. You can download them from there and then follow the same procedure as shown in the training.

Link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1sAoykwUBJtxKY8EVoTtK23dHzt3_2H4b?usp=sharing

1 Like

Anaconda aldready has python 3. I installed the boltpython package. Now what? Could you please guide me?

If you have anaconda installed then you should install the boltiot package using pip3 module. Then you can write any code in python language using sudo nano name.py

Are you using Virtual Box & Ubuntu to run the code? Because I have provided you the links already or you are using just Anaconda

Before running this file you will have to create a conf.py file in which write the API_KEY and the D_Id for your bolt module.

1 Like

I am using windows not ubuntu or virtual box

I have installed boltiot packages using pip. But now for some reason jupyter notenook is not working

Through Virtual Box you run Ubuntu only.

That’s an internal error. Why don’t to try to install Virtual Box

I was unable to install virtual box. There has to be some way to run all this in windows

1 Like

Yes, you can do everything on windows as well on command prompt, or powershell.

The training has focused, only to help you get along a linux environment.

Could anyone please tell me how to do this project on windows in anaconda no virtual box or ubuntu?

1 Like

Yes I will guide you through it. I wanna make sure you have all your codes ready in a folder.

Confirm me here, once you write the codes of the configuration file and main file in a notepad and save it as .py instead of .txt

You wont require linux, digitalocean or anything for this. Only a windows laptop and internet connection. And ofcourse the Bolt module.

Step 1 - Download and Install Python3 from https://www.python.org/ftp/python/3.9.5/python-3.9.5-amd64.exe

Step 2 - Open CMD from Windows search and type python3

C:\Users\Aksha> python3

It will run and you will be verified that it is properly installed.

Exit the program by typing exit()

C:\Users\Aksha>python3
Python 3.9.5 (tags/v3.9.5:0a7dcbd, May 3 2021, 17:27:52) [MSC v.1928 64 bit (AMD64)] on win32
Type “help”, “copyright”, “credits” or “license” for more information.

exit()

Step 3 - To install the boltiot package, Type
pip3 install boltiot
This will download the package.

Step 4 - As I asked you Type the below code in a notepad and save it as blablabla.py

from boltiot import Bolt
api_key = “XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX”
device_id = “BOLTXXXXX”
mybolt = Bolt(api_key, device_id)
response = mybolt.digitalWrite(‘0’, ‘HIGH’)
print (response)

Step 5 - Copy the blablabla.py file in the C:\Users\Aksha directory. In your case, instead of Aksha, your folder(computer username) will be different. It is present in C drive, then Users, …
Once you have copied, close the window.

(Incase you have multiple files, which might need to call/import other files, you can make a folder, and open it in the terminal using cd foldername, you can run the program from there. Else it will show directory not found )

Step 6 - Open CMD. And type

> python3 blablabla.py

Make sure to mention .py to run the program.

1 Like

Thank you so much you saved the day!

1 Like

Change the Query title to something like "How to run BOLTIoT on Windows. (without digital ocean or ubuntu)"

1 Like

Hi @akshayan.sinha,

I have changed the title.

Do let me know in case you need any other information.

2 Likes