Installation of Ubuntu software using Virtual Box

Which kernel should I select?

Hello @bhavanabr21,

if you want for a desktop, use the generic kernel. For a server use the server kernel.

If you are going to run a kernel that is optimized for your hardware, I suggest you compile your own. It is intimidating to do so, but, with modern options, it is not that difficult.

After you install …

Get the source

mkdir ~/src
    cd src
    apt-get source linux-image-$(uname -r)

Install the necessary packages to compile

`sudo apt-get build-dep linux-image-$(uname -r)`

Now you have all the parts you need to compile. The ubuntu kernel source code has already been patched.

In the “old days” you would have to know your hardware and select what to optimize and what to compile. These days you simply run the following command in the kernel source directory

cp /boot/config-your_kernel_version 
    make localmodconfig

localmodconfig will examine the modules you are using and compile those (so no need to know your hardware).

Generally the defaults from localmodconfig are fine. You can run

`make menuconfig`

and go to the CPU section and see what, if anything, applies to your CPU. If you do not understand the options, go with the default.

Then run

make
    make install
    sudo make INSTALL_MOD_STRIP=1 modules_install

And update grub loader, boot to your new kernel.

and if this doesn’t solve your problem then refer youtube video below to install ubuntu server

(https://youtu.be/xUH256WAWt0)

Hello @prajesh9921
Where should I type these codes?

After selecting the kernal terminal will open there you will see the blinking cursor you start typing code in there.

Okay.
So which kernal should I choose for Bolt IoT learning?

the first one will do just fine

Thanks for the response.

if you want for a desktop, use the generic kernel. which in your case is the first option so select 1st option