My Bolt disconnects automatically and then unable to connect again

Hi @shoeb.ahmed, I have been struggling a lot with this. Please help me with a replacement. I have contacted you over email as well. Thanks a lot.

Regards,
Jitendra

Hey @mail2jitu , make sure you have a good Internet connection and good power supply.

Hi, I have checked, both are fine. Its not a problem with internet. Thanks.

Hi @shoeb.ahmed1, Can you please respond. It’s almost 2 weeks and I can’t proceed. Please do needful for replacement. Thanks.

Hi @rahul.singh1, would you be able to help me? I am not able to resolve the issue since long. Can you please reset my bolt? Will try that options as well. It is Bolt8023876.
Thanks, Jitendra

Hi @mail2jitu,

Apology for the delay in response, Can you connect your Bolt to your phone’s hotspot and check if it is working .

Change the wifi password of your home network and then follow the setup process again to link your device to your phone’s hotspot https://info.boltiot.com/how-to-setup-bolt

Also recored a video of issue and share the public link of the video to support@boltiot.com

Do let me know in case you need further assistance.

Hi Sir
I’m also facing the connectivity problem after running the python code"Restarting the Bolt device"

from boltiot import Bolt
api_key = “XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX”
device_id = “BOLTXXXXX”
mybolt = Bolt(api_key, device_id)
response = mybolt.restart()
print (response)

The code is running successfully,but once it run for restating the module permanently loose it network connection.
As you have suggested above, I changed the wi-fi password and uninstalled the app and redownloaded, then was able to connect. But again when i run the program, the same problem happened.

Try disconnecting your home wifi once from bolt cloud and again try to pair it following the instructions in the Bolt app. If this doesn’t work try using your mobile hotspot in place of home wifi.

Hi,

I have tried this many times, but no luck. Same thing is happening. Don’t know what else to do.
Regards,
Jitendra

Hi Rahul,
I tried hours almost everyday by doing/undoing but this is not helping. There is something wrong with the device. Does the devise supposed to send wifi signal continuously? I have noticed this is not the base for me. I do see Bolt**** network in my phone wifi selection area for fraction of a second and then it goes off but the blue light keeps on blinking slowly always. I think that is the reason for getting disconnected. Please advise on this.
Kind Regards.

@mail2jitu

As instructed by Rahul in this thread My Bolt disconnects automatically and then unable to connect again, please recored a video of issue and share the public link of the video to support@boltiot.com

Hi @mail2jitu,

The issue you are facing is difficult to debug, but is definitely caused due to the router you are using for the internet, along with some other issues that I will mention below.

To be clear, I have checked in our backend systems to see when your device was last online. It came online on 1st of September, which means that you router gives an internet connection to your device every now and then.

The issue is probably that your WiFi router has too many devices connected to it or at the least more devices connected to it than it can handle at a time. This can happen regardless of how fast your internet is.

When a router has more devices than it can handle connected to it, it differs wifi connections and causes slow network devices to connect and disconnect from it over and over again. This is why the Bolt WiFi module blinks it’s led slowly, but does not show it’s hotspot either. Because it is connecting and disconnecting from the router, it is in a kind of limbo. Also, it does show up as online on the Bolt Cloud every now and then.

To confirm this, what you can do is, power off (keep powered off) your WiFi, and then power up your Bolt WiFi module, and check for the BoltXXXX hotspot. If you can detect the hotspot in a stable manner 5 minutes after keeing your router off, then we know this is the issue. After that you can configure the Bolt WiFi module to connect to the mobile hotspot and get internet from your mobile.

If this does turn out to be your issue, I recommend upgrading your router. You can keep the same router, but you should not expect the Bolt WiFi module to work with it properly.

Also, there have been people in the past with the same issue. They told us that the router does not work even when they switch off the other devices connected to the router. But what they miss out on doing, is restarting their router. This is necessary so that the router memory buffer is cleared. Once this is done, the Bolt WiFi module works properly with the router.

1 Like

Hi,

I have tried even after switching off all the devices, router, restarting the router and using only the Bolt. I am saying it connects, but drops within a second or few seconds. That is the problem. Also that happens when I switch on after a long no power to bolt. I have tried hours trying to connect with just bolt. but it never re-connects. This is very unusual to me as well, as if it can connect once, it should get connected again.

[To confirm this, what you can do is, power off (keep powered off) your WiFi, and then power up your Bolt WiFi module, and check for the BoltXXXX hotspot. If you can detect the hotspot in a stable manner 5 minutes after keeping your router off, then we know this is the issue. After that you can configure the Bolt WiFi module to connect to the mobile hotspot and get internet from your mobile.]

-> I tried this one as well. The bolt wifi appears and disappear immediately. There is no question of steady wifi from bolt for 5 minutes. I don’t know why this is happening.

I have asked my ISP to check the internet strength. Can you please confirm how much is needed as a minimum to connect to Bolt? They will come on Monday to verify.

Thanks,
Jitendra

Hi @vinayak.joshi, @rahul.singh1,

Have added a video and shared the link on email to support. Please check and advise.

Thanks.

Hi @mail2jitu,

It has got nothing to do with your internet connection, and got everything to do with your WiFi.

Go through the link below, and check the device info of your device.

Can you confirm that you have turned off the wifi which is mentioned in the device info for your device?

@vinayak.joshi I am not sure if you have seen the video. The Bolt wifi is not visible and hence, the app is not able to connect to bolt. The device doesn’t come online. I can’t do anything with device info in offline mode. I have turned off and on many times everyday and try to connect. I am not in a mood to keep on trying this. If you guys can help, please help else I WILL DUMP IT. This is not what I signed up for.
The bolt doesn’t transmit steady wifi and you are asking me to go to device info, when it doesn’t come online. I can’t waste everyday hours on this. Hope you understand.

Please don’t take it personally, but I have exhausted all my energy. Regards.

Hi @rahul.singh1 ,

Can you please take a look at the video I have shared and let me know. The bold doesn;t send steady wifi, in 6 minutes video, we say bolt signal for fraction of a second. Can this device be replaved?
Regards.

Hi,

I had seen the video before asking you to check the device info.

As per what I see in the video (subtle changes in the glowing pattern of the led) I can tell that the device is connecting and disconnecting from some wifi.

The reason that I asked you to check the device info is because the name of the wifi to which the device is supposed to connect to is listed in the device info.

During one of the setup attempts earlier, you may have tried to connect the device to some other WiFi ( this has happened to other users before)

The device info will clarify that.

Also, I feel you are doing your best to convince us to have the unit replaced, where as we are doing our best to make sure you have a working device in the shortest period of time.

Replacing a device takes time, which is much larger than debugging the issue.

Also if we simply replace the device without knowing the root cause of the issue, you might just face the same issue again. We definitely don’t want that to happen.

Please check the device info, and confirm whether you router wifi is listed there or some other wifi name is listed there.

If your router wifi is listed that we will replace the device.

Hi @vinayak.joshi1, Thanks for your email. This is much clear than earlier one. I confirm that the device info shows the same router Wifi name. I am ready to debug more on this, but this offline support is just wasting of time. If someone can help me over call, I am ready to try again, otherwise please initiate the replacement process. Please advise. Thanks and Regards.