Why is my API access is rate limited?

Hi,
Everything on the cloud works until I wrote a code to blink the leds periodically (connected to gpio ‘0’) using inbuilt JavaScript function setInterval. The device stops working after few seconds of correctly blinking and I get a mail, Api access will be enabled after 6hrs (as I supposedly exceeded the threshold hits per minute). Can this feature be permanently disabled for my account by contacting support@boltiot
com. I like to experiment with the device and this feature of the bolt cloud is detrimental. I have faced such 6 hour delays 6 times for the past 3 days. Mailing the support to activate the access key never works as they do not respond. How should I deal with this ?

@ee17b110 My apologies that you did not get a response on support@boltiot.com.

Let me start by explaining why this particular feature exists:

Why does this feature exist?
Any cloud service has a limited bandwidth which is shared by its users. When any user overuses the system beyond the specified limit it affects the usage for other users of Bolt cloud. The effects could be a slower response rate for others or at times could even crash the Bolt Cloud. To prevent this situation and to ensure that you get a continues uptime of the Bolt cloud, this feature exists.

What to do if you end application still requires higher bandwidth?
We understand that there could be a situation where a user like you would have a genuine case for higher bandwidth or speed. To consider this, we have now launched a pro version of the Bolt Cloud. You can upgrade to the pro version at a small monthly fee of $0.75 or Rs.50 INR. This fee helps us pay the additional amount towards the cost of the AWS servers which is required to offer the additional bandwidth.

Note that you can continue using the Bolt cloud for free with its current features.

Note that the pro version of the cloud offers a lot of other features in addition to the higher bandwidth such as an option to send SMS and E-Mail natively via Bolt cloud, Additional APIs where you can download historical data etc.

To encourage initial users of the pro version, we are running an offer where you can get it at 50% off. Use the code LAUNCHDAY to avail the offer.

4 Likes

Thank You, sir. I understand why this feature is crucial for the users at large. I guess it’s like one of those unavoidable tradeoffs we face. I am planning to use the bolt Pro version. Could you advise me on that a bit more and where to initiate the purchase for the same ?

1 Like

Here is the list of pro features. We will be adding more soon.

• Connect unlimited devices
  • Upload data every 30 seconds instead of the regular 5 minutes via the cloud dashboard
  • Alerts over SMS and E-Mail
  • Higher API limits of 120 calls per minutes.
  • Pull historic data

You can upgrade by visiting https://cloud.boltiot.com/view_profile/plan and use the code LAUNCHDAY to avail the offer.

Note that there is still an API limit and it is not unlimited. However, it is 4 times the regular limit. I also recommend you to keep a delay of 1 second between any call. This is being on a safer side though. You can also try with a delay of 0.5 seconds.

2 Likes

Sir I have been using the bolt from past 9 months. Earlier there were no as such limitation exist. Then why now this new hindrance occurs. After 5 to 6 calls the message occurs that "Your api has been rate limited. "