Mybolt.restart() makes my BoltIot module to forget its network settings

I am running my code on OS version Ubuntu 22.04 LTS, in a virtual box.
#code
import conf
from boltiot import Bolt
api_key = conf.API_KEY
device_id = conf.DEVICE_ID
mybolt = Bolt(api_key, device_id)
response = mybolt.isOnline()
print (response)
#response = mybolt.restart()
#print (response)

Firstly I have checked whether the module is connected to Wi-Fi or not, by using myBolt.isOnline().
The response is true.
Then I ran mybolt.restart() within the same code. The response is also success and returned restarted.

From what I understand, restart() should power off the module and then power on again. But the module never came back online, even after waiting for 5 minutes.

The blue LED was blinking slowly after restart, which means the device has forgot its Wi-Fi credentials.

Is restart() supposed to factory reset the module or else simply power off and then on it again?

1 Like

@shri20409.ec It should not reset the wifi settings. Only restart the module. If you power of and power on the Bolt manually by disconnecting and reconnecting the usb cable after running the restart API, does it automatically connect back to your wifi network?

Yes, I tried doing the same, disconnecting and reconnecting the cable. The blue LED remained blinking slowly. I have waited for 5-7 mins. Then, I had to reconfigure the Wi-Fi settings to bring the device back online.

@shri20409.ec Noted. We will check it out from our side as well and update you.

Yes same thing happen with me so I reconfigure my BOLT device with the app and reconnect to the hotspot .

Hai @shri20409.ec
I also faced the very same issue. What I have done is I am explaining here to resolve this problem.

First power up your Bolt Wi-Fi module. Log in to your Bolt IoT app downloaded in your phone . You can see your Bolt module already there , but click on add new device .Then strictly follow the instructions provided there. You can also refer to the training video " Linking the microcontroller module to the cloud" in the section " Getting Started with the IoT Cloud "

Following these steps your Green LED will also start to glow.

@shri20409.ec Apologies for the delay in getting back to you. I had tested this out but missed out on replying to you. The restart API doesn’t forget the network settings. It will only turn OFF and then turn ON the module and it will connect back to the wifi automatically.

This might not be critical and you should be able to proceed with your learning. However, if you are getting the issue, you can share a video with me of the issue so that we could check further. In the video you can run the program and then show the LEDs of the Bolt module.