Troubleshooting Bolt device shown offline i.e. status is RED on app and cloud dashboard

I have written this post to help with troubleshooting of the Bolt device shown as offline on the Bolt Cloud dashboard or the Bolt IoT app on Android or iOS.

There are 2 major reasons why this could happen. I will list each of the reasons below, along with the most probable cause and solutions to resolve the issue.

1. The Bolt is not connected to the WiFi network:
This issue is indicated by the blue LED on the Bolt device blinking slowly.

This issue can be caused due to the following reasons:

1. The Bolt is not in range of the WiFi network to which you had set it up for the first time or the network is no longer available e.g. in case you have shifted the Bolt device to a different location. You can either move the Bolt device closer to the WiFi network so that it can connect to it. If you have shifted the location of the Bolt device and the WiFi network is not available, you can either create a hotspot on your mobile device with same network name and password as the WiFi network you had configured the Bolt to connect to or you can repeat the setup process using the Bolt IoT app to connect the Bolt to a new WiFi network.
  2. The WiFi network name or password are not entered correctly. This is a very common reason for the Bolt device to not get connected to the WiFi network you have configured. The WiFi network name and password are case sensitive. Hence you have to carefully type the details to ensure that the details are correct and also ensure that no whitespace is added at the beginning, end of words or end of the name or password as this happens when you use autocomplete feature of your keyboard. Repeat the setup steps again and ensure that you have entered the details correctly. This usually solves the problem.
  3. You are trying to connect the Bolt device to a WiFi network of 5GHz. The Bolt device only supports 2.4GHz networks and hence you need to ensure that the WiFi network to which you are setting up the Bolt device is a 2.4 GHz network. The Bolt device does not connect to a 5 GHz network.

2. The WiFi network to which the Bolt is connected does not have Internet access.
This is usually indicated by the blue LED on the Bolt device being stable and the green LED is off. This means the Bolt is connected to the WiFi network but unable to connect to the Internet.

This can be caused due to the following reasons:

1. The WiFi network has very slow Internet speed. In such a scenario, please disconnect the Bolt device from the WiFi network and set it up to a different WiFi network which has a good Internet speed.
  2. The WiFi network is an open network e.g. University WiFi or Hotel WiFi which requires a user ID and password once you are connected to the network. This kind of WiFi setup is suited for laptop and mobile devices as they have a GUI using which you can enter the details. However, the Bolt does not support such WiFi networks which have 2 levels of security. Hence you will need to disconnect the Bolt from the WiFi network and then set it up to a WiFi network which is of type WPA2/PSK. Usually the home WiFi networks or mobile hotspots work well.

Please follow the instructions given above to troubleshoot your device shown offline issue and let me know if there are any suggestions.

1 Like

i tried many times to connect it to network but it always flash ’ no internet connection’ on bolt app , although i wrote a proper name of network , i also check the above conditions you mentioned above. kindly help me or tell me how to replace bolt wifi module because i am not able to do my any project.

@sanudeepak6 Can you please let us know what steps you had already taken to connect the Bolt to the WiFi?

I had the same problem. Please setup the bolt device from start again, and make sure that the wifi connection to both your bolt device and mobile phone (which has the bolt app installed) , is the same. Dont think there will be a defect in the module. Just try doing setup from start all over again.

turn the mobile data ON if your wifi router is a mobile phone and try again to bolt iot app. If you have a different wifi router than turn it OFF and again ON and try again to boltIoT app.

Sir, i have forgotten my wifi password of the hotspot, i know the ssid. How to reset the setup procedure? Can u help me!

@harsh.17u630 Are you trying to reset the password of the WiFi network? In that case, please refer to the manufacturer of the router in order to know how to reset the password of the WiFi.

Please help me sir my device is not connected to wifi as well as bolt iot app but blue and green light is blown on module. So what can i do?

@parmardeep924 Can you define blown? Are the LEDs working on the Bolt device?

It get misspelled its “glown”.

@parmardeep924 Ohh. In that case, the device is already online and connected to the Bolt Cloud. You do not have to do anything else.

Blue LED is continuously blinking and the device has been added, but cloud LED is not ON what can be done about it?

This has happened many times with me. I would suggest you to try doing the setup one more time. Generally, that solves the problem. If not, this might help.

Case 1: The Blue LED is blinking but it’s not stable.
You need to connect your Bolt to your Wi-Fi network. Download the Bolt IoT App in your Android phone and follow the onscreen instruction to connect your Bolt to your home Wi-Fi network.

Case 2: Blue LED is stable but Green LED is not On.
It means your Bolt is connected to your Wi-Fi network but not getting the internet access. Enable the internet access from your wi-fi network.

Sir,is there no way to connect to the hostel wifi as it is having proxy ,if there please help cause here even the phone signals are weak

Hi @rishisparrow,

No such direct method is possible.

Sir, on my phone it is showing online, both led green and blue are glowing, but in laptop bolt app it is not showing any online status.

Hi @bhumikapersonal, try logging out of your cloud account and logging in again. The data from your phone may not have synced with the cloud server.

I have everything correct wifi name pass location everything still my bolt is blinking and not connecting automatically
its very frustrating and please give option of manual connection

hello. wifi module is showing the leds both glowing perfectly sir but on dash board hardware devices is showing as zero sir